Monday, October 7, 2013

Literature Analysis #2

TOPIC(S) and/or EVENT(S)

1. The book is about an old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson.
2. The author chooses to write about this event because it is life's greatest lesson. He and his old college professor write their last thesis together.
3. My friend recommended this book to me because she said I was sure to like it. She was right. The way the book was broken up got me sucked in. I wanted to keep reading and reading.
4. I found the book to be very realistic. I felt that I was also a part of the story. The lessons that Morrie gave were absolutely terrific. I want to incorporate them into everyday life like he says to do.

PEOPLE

1. The author's choices say that he is a very caring person. He stays with Morrie to the very end and even goes to writing a book for him. He wrote the book as a present for Morrie. It was their last thesis together and Mitch really wanted to share what he had learned with Morrie to the world. The author's tone is sincere and it gives it a good flow for the story.
2. Mitch is a successful sports columnist who only thought about being more successful as any other adult would but that changes as the story goes on. He becomes a dynamic character who changes how he thinks in a way. The lessons he learns from Morrie impact his life deeply. He is losing a very close friend and at the same time learning some of life's greatest lessons. Morrie is an old man who is on his death bed. He's adventure by death's door is an interesting one for he doesn't mope around that much. He instead lives life to the fullest for one last time.
3. The bond that they shared is the most interesting thing to write about. They have a special bond as teacher and student. They know each other on a personal level and have a beautiful friendship.
1. "Yes. Detaching myself" is an example of direct characterization because he's stating that he is detaching himself. He is telling the reading exactly what he is feeling. Another example of direct characterization is when Morrie says "Mitch, I don't allow myself any more self-pity than that. A little each morning, a few tears, and that's all." You can tell that he doesn't feel sorry for himself that much as other people do when they are faced with an illness. An example of indirect characterization is when Morrie says "You need someone to probe you in that direction. It won't just happen automatically" I know what he was trying to say. We all need teachers in our lives. Another example of indirect characterization is when Morrie says “It’s like going back to being a child again.” He is saying that he is helpless again. The nurses have to do everything for him.
2. The author doesn’t use any syntax change when he focuses on a character but he does use diction change. He makes Morrie seem more gentle and kind but maybe that’s how he just is.
3. The protagonist is dynamic for he changes as the story goes on. He starts applying some of the things he and Morrie talk about in life. All those lessons and teachings he is putting to good use.
4. I felt that I actually met the character because it seemed so real. Morrie had that personality, that even though it was in a book, he grabs you and makes you feel warm inside. He is a very kind and outgoing old man with a lot to give to the world. It’s hard to choose textual evidence that explains my reaction for it is the whole book that explains it. “Everybody knows they’re going to die,” he said again, “but nobody believes it. If we did, we would do things differently.”

STYLE

1. The author uses journalistic writing for the whole book is about the Mitch and Morrie’s Tuesdays that they spend together.
2. The author focuses more on the dialogue. The overall effect of this is to give the reader more emotion to what is going on. That way the reader can feel that he/she is actually in the room when Morrie and Mitch are talking.
3. I don’t know of any tools that the author used in this book.
4. The author’s attitude was toward the subject. The book was all Morrie’s idea and it was too referred to as a final thesis between him and Mitch. All the focus was about them and what they talked about on those Tuesdays.
5. The author offers interviews in the story. It mattered to me because I felt that Morrie deserved to be interviewed and listened too.

ENDURING MEMORY

One idea that I will remember from this book is to how to give out love and to let it come in. Morrie talks about this with Mitch and explains that we are all human beings no matter the race or color. We all have to same beginning and ending as well. I found this to be important to me because I know it is true. I have always found human interaction interesting and wondered why we don’t just get along. Another idea I will remember from this book is to love each other or perish.  It’s by a poet name Auden and as Morrie explains it I found it to be true. He says that without love we are like birds with broken wings. Love is what makes us keep going for humans are social creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment