Friday, September 13, 2013

Literature Analysis

TOPIC(S) and/or EVENT(S)
1. My book is about how the CIA pulled off an arduous escape plan for the hostages of the 1979 Iran US embassy crisis.

2. I think that the author choose to write this book because he felt that people should know how they pulled off a rescue mission this big.

3. I choose this book because a friend recommended it to me. I read the title and thought it should be a good book because a former CIA agent wrote it. I was right. I did end up liking it and reading it through to the end. The plot made me want to read it more and more.

4. I think this book is realistic only because it happened in history other than it it doesn't seem that realistic. The tone in which the author wrote it makes it seem casual and normal. It could pass as a fiction book.


PEOPLE
1. The author reports his own interpretations based on personal observations. Not only that but he has training in how to read people so his interpretations are basically spot on. If I met the people the author was trying to smuggle out I would probably see them in almost the same way. Frighten and alone. The author's choices make him seem like a person who will try no what what. He has determination and is persistent. He wrote this book in order to tell the story of how the CIA pulled off an arduous escape plan. The author's tone to me seems a bit casual. The tone doesn't suck you into the story that's the plot that does. The tone says a lot about the subjects. It helps create that ease when they're talking to each other.

2. Joseph Stafford is not a positive guy. He thinks negatively throughout the escape plan. He doesn't want to trust Tony and has no hope that the plan will work. I consider him a dynamic character because he changes in the story. When the author first meets him he's a frighten young man who thinks negative. I can't blame him because that whole hostage situation that happened in Iran can do that to someone. In the end he takes charge and tries to explain to the guards why they are there in Iran. It was surprising to read that. He completely changed in that moment. He was actually confident and kept his cool. If I could make him into a fictional character I would use indirect characterization on him because you can't find out how he if I just told the reader. It won't have as much depth. Henry Schats comes off as a cool guy in the story. He doesn't seem to loose his cool that much and is the calmest person out of the group. He is more of a static character because he doesn't change throughout the story. He stays the same calm cool guy. If i could make him into a fictional character I would use direct characterization because he doesn't need that much detail. He's a static character so a flat out description of him would do just fine.

3. I chose these two people because they're the ones that I found interesting. Joseph surprised me at the end when he took charge when there was trouble so I choose him. I choose Henry because he seemed the least affected by the whole Iran hostage crisis. I found that interesting because I would've thought that everybody would be scared but I guess not. Henry kept his cool the best.


STYLE
1. I don't know what the author's style was mainly because I don't know what style is the literature world is.

2. The author uses lengthy descriptions of places and people. It helps with the book because he is telling a moment of history that not that many people know unless if they were born in that time or lived in it.

3. The author uses first person to help make the boo more interesting especially with this plot.

4. The author's attitude towards the characters are normal. I believe his attitude was the same from when he first met the characters in real life.

5. The author uses his memory of the newspapers, tv and documents of when the story took place. He doesn't use hard proof because well he is a former CIA agent so I bet they wouldn't let him.


ENDURING MEMORY
The idea that even bad ideas are good is something that I will remember from the book. In the book they're lots of bad ideas on how to rescue the hostages but they have to choose one and they did. They chose to make a fake movie and have the hostages has the cast. That sounds like a bad idea already but hey it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment